The Department of Health has the following responsibilities in preparation for and in response to emergencies:
- Participates in community outreach programs to educate County residents about personal emergency preparedness.
- Provides nursing support at shelters.
- Collects information on disease outbreaks.
- Distributes medications or vaccines to first responders and County residents in response to a disease outbreak or manmade disaster.
- Works with local agencies and partners, including the Anne Arundel County Office of Emergency Management, City of Annapolis Office of Emergency Management, County Fire, County Police, Public Schools, County Social Services, Anne Arundel Medical Center, and Baltimore Washington Medical Center; State agencies such as the Maryland Responds Medical Reserve Corps volunteer program, Maryland Department of Health and Maryland Department of Emergency Management; and federal agencies such as the Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- Preparedness Brochure for Individuals and Families (PDF)
- Creating a Family Plan
- Family Emergency Communication Card – For Your Wallet (PDF)
- Creating and Storing an Emergency Water Supply (PDF)
- Mental Health During Times of Stress
- Helping Children Cope with Crises and Violence
- Emergency Supplies for Pets (PDF)
- Anne Arundel County Office of Emergency Management
- City of Annapolis Office of Emergency Management
- Ready Business (Plans from U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
Child Care Facilities and Schools
- Anne Arundel County Public Schools: Crisis and Emergency Management Plan
- FEMA for Kids
- Anne Arundel County Office of Emergency Management Kids Corner
Disease and Hazard Preparedness and Response Information
- Diseases, Agents and Other Threats (CDC)
- CDC Strategic National Stockpile
- Radiation Emergencies (CDC)
- Technological Hazards (MDEM)
Health Care Preparedness
Long-Term Care Facilities
- National Long-Term Care Ombudsman Resource Center
- Emergency Preparedness Checklist for Nursing Homes, Assisted Living Facilities and Group Homes (PDF)