Last updated: December 21, 2017
The Behavioral Health Bureau promotes the emotional health and physical well-being of County residents by assessing the problems, needs and resources of the County and promoting behavioral health through education, prevention and treatment. The Bureau offers five major programs: Adolescent and Family Services, Adult Addiction Services, Community Treatment Services, Prevention and Education Services and Recovery Support Services. The Bureau also administers grants to provide for services addressing sexual assault, domestic violence and substance abuse.
Prescription drug abuse is the fastest growing drug problem in the United States. Many individuals may need to dispose of expired or unused medications which have been prescribed by their physicians or purchased over-the-counter. See Disposal of Expired or Unused Medications.
- Adolescent and Family Services provides behavioral health services to children and their families, including both mental health (410-222-6785) and addictions treatment (410-222-6725).NEW Resource! Mind Resilience: A Proactive Approach to Developing Resilience at All Ages
- Adult Addiction Services provides outpatient medication-assisted treatment, including the use of methadone and buprenorphine, for opioid use disorder. The clinics hours are below.
Monday – Friday
- Community Treatment Services (410-222-0120) partners with the criminal justice system and private substance abuse treatment programs to provide substance abuse assessments for offenders and treatment for those offenders who are indigent or incarcerated.
- Prevention and Education Services (410-222-6724) promotes public health by preventing alcohol and drug abuse in young people.
- Recovery Support Services (410-222-7076) helps substance abuse treatment clients obtain the resources and skills they need to transition successfully from treatment to sustained recovery.
The Bureau’s staff interacts with community advocacy groups and private providers to coordinate care, develop resources and develop policy.