Last updated: May 7, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can get a Medical Assistance ride in Anne Arundel County?
In order to receive a ride you must have:
- A medically necessary medical appointment,
- Full Medical Assistance/Health Choice coverage,
- Live in Anne Arundel County, and
- Have no other means of transportation available (Medical Assistance Transportation is a last resort) —
- no car or unable to drive,
- no family/friends who can drive you,
- do not live on a bus route or Mobility transport route, and
- not eligible to ride with a County Office of Transportation service (410-222-0022).
How do I schedule a ride?
- Call 410-222-7152, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and follow the prompts.
- Call at least 48 hours (two business days) before the appointment time. Ride reservations will be accepted until 2:30 p.m. Example: If you have a Monday appointment, schedule your ride on Thursday before 2:30 p.m. If you have an appointment the day after a State/County holiday, schedule your ride two business days before the holiday.
What if I need to cancel a ride?
To make same day changes, call AAA Transport at 410-741-6034.
- AAA Transport has a 24-hour a day message system that accepts cancellations.
- It is important to cancel your scheduled ride as soon as you know that you cannot go to your appointment. When you cancel early, someone else in need may be able to receive a ride.
What happens if I forget to cancel my ride?
- If you miss rides, you may be required to call and confirm your ride with AAA Transport one hour before the ride. If missing scheduled rides becomes a habit, you may lose your riding privileges.
What if I am denied a ride or have difficulty with scheduling a ride?
- Call the Transportation Coordinator at 410-222-7152.
What are the policies for bad weather?
- If Anne Arundel County Government is closed, transportation will not operate; however, efforts will be made to transport dialysis and methadone clients. Check www.aacounty.org, here (www.aahealth.org) or 410-222-4000 for updates on County Government closings.
- If bad weather develops during the day, AAA Transport will decide whether or not to continue operation. However, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES will riders be left at appointments without transportation home.
What if my medical appointment is over quickly and my return ride is not for another 1 1/2 hours?
- Call AAA Transport at 410-741-6034 to see if a driver and van are available to pick you up early.
Can other adults and children ride with me?
- Adults may have an attendant for assistance, but it must first be approved on a physician’s certification statement. Call the Transportation Coordinator at 410-222-7152 to obtain a physician’s certification statement.
- Regulations only allow for the child (up to age 16) or children with appointments to ride with a parent or legal guardian. Children without appointments cannot come along.
- We encourage parents to set up routine appointments for all their children at the same time for the same trip.
Carry the transportation card with you to have the phone numbers readily available.
If you have additional questions about the Medical Assistance Transportation Program, call the Anne Arundel County Department of Health at 410-222-7152.
The Anne Arundel County Medical Assistance Transportation Program is funded by the State of Maryland.