Last updated: August 21, 2018
Bureau of Behavioral Health
Recovery Support Services Program
Full-time County Contractual with Benefits
Date Posted: 10.17.17
Date Closing: Open until filled
Location: 839 Bestgate Road, Annapolis, MD 21401
Salary: $15.09 per hour
Benefits: Participation in the County’s group health plan (including dental, prescription and optical). Paid holidays, annual leave and sick leave. The selected employee may also participate in the County’s deferred compensation program at his or her own expense.
Nature of Work: This position functions as a nonclinical, peer based position that engages, educates and supports individuals to make life changes necessary to recover from disabling mental illness and/or substance use disorder conditions. The activities are educational and coaching in nature. A key element that enhances and distinguishes this position is that candidates appropriately highlight their personal experience of recovery. The position will assist individuals at select community sites. Core hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Must provide personal statement describing what skills and abilities he/she has to offer.
- Must have minimum of three years of recovery from an addictions or co-occurring disorder.
- Must complete peer specialist core training, peer counselor or comparable training program from a recognized and approved source within six months of entry into position.
- Must achieve certification as a peer support specialist within first 18 months of hire.
- Must complete any other training that is deemed necessary and appropriate.
- Must provide at least two letters of recommendation.
- Ability to maintain effective peer recovery relationships with clients and other members of the care team.
- Strong communication skills with other health professionals, coworkers and clients.
- Basic computer skills to include Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Professional demeanor.
- No current criminal justice system involvement. Considerations: Length of time since last conviction, type of crime.
- Must have own vehicle available for travel.
- Must have a current Maryland driver’s license with a clear driving record.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalency certificate (GED).
How to Apply
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications can apply. Send a completed County application or resume to:
Sheri Streit, 3 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Annapolis, MD 21401; fax to 410-222-4392; or email email@example.com. This position is open until filled.
An Equal Opportunity Employer