The sweetness of papaya balances the spice of cayenne pepper in this Caribbean inspired favorite. Wrap any leftovers in a whole-wheat tortilla for a quick next day lunch.
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 medium papaya, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups hot cooked brown rice
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add all ingredients except beans and rice. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until bell peppers are crisp-tender. Stir in beans and cook about 5 minutes or until heated through. Serve over rice.
Makes 6 servings.
Per serving: 410 calories. Fat: 5 grams. Sodium: 440 milligrams. Fiber: 13 grams. Saturated Fat: 1 gram. Total Carbohydrates: 78 grams. Protein: 13 grams.
Recipe adapted from FruitsandVeggiesMoreMatters.org
Image courtesy of brettro/Flickr.