What is binge drinking?
According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, binge drinking is defined as a pattern of alcohol consumption that brings the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level to 0.08 percent or more. It is the consumption of an excessive amount of alcohol in a short period of time.
What is considered moderate alcohol consumption?
According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020, United States Department of Health and Human Services and United States Department of Agriculture, moderate drinking is up to 1 drink per day for women and up to 2 drinks per day for men.
What is considered a “drink”?
A drink is defined as 12 ounces of a 5 percent alcohol by volume beer; 4 ounces of 13 percent wine; or 1.5 ounces of 40 percent distilled spirit.
Is binge drinking different for men and women?
Yes, binge drinking for women is consuming 4 or more drinks on one occasion and binge drinking for men is consuming 5 or more drinks on one occasion.
What health problems are associated with binge drinking?
- Unintentional injuries (e.g., car crashes, falls, burns, drowning)
- Intentional injuries (e.g., firearm injuries, sexual assault, domestic violence, suicide)
- Alcohol poisoning, a medical emergency that results from high blood alcohol levels that can shut down critical areas of the brain that control breathing, heart rate and body temperature, resulting in death.
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Sexual dysfunction
- Unintended pregnancy
- Children born with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders
- High blood pressure, stroke and other cardiovascular diseases
- Liver disease
- Neurological damage
- Poor control of diabetes
What are some statistics of binge drinking?
- 24 percent of binge drinkers reported being a passenger in a car with a driver under the influence of alcohol.
- 33 percent of binge drinkers reported they “blacked out” or forgot what they did.
- 31 percent of binge drinkers reported having unprotected sex.
- 15 percent of binge drinkers physically injure themselves.
- 24 percent of binge drinkers get rides from drunk drivers.
- 32 percent report doing something they regretted.
What are tips for responsible drinking?