Last updated: May 16, 2022
Recall and Consumer Advisory regarding Powdered Infant Formula Produced in Abbott Nutrition’s Facility in Sturgis, Michigan
On February 17, 2022, Abbott Nutrition issued a recall and the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) issued a consumer advisory regarding powdered infant formula produced from Abbott Nutrition’s Sturgis, Michigan facility. The consumer advisory is in response to complaints associated with Cronobacter sakazakii and Salmonella Newport infections. All of the cases are reported to have consumed powdered infant formula produced from Abbott Nutrition’s Sturgis, Michigan facility. The full text of the recall and advisory can be found on the FDA Website.
The Maryland Department of Health (MDH) and the FDA are advising consumers not to use Similac, Alimentum, or EleCare powdered infant formulas if:
- The first two digits of the code are 22 through 37; and
- The code on the container contains K8, SH or Z2; and
- The expiration date is 4-1-2022 (APR 2022) or later.
Below is the recommended guidance if you still have affected product:
- Immediately remove the product from sale
- Ensure the product is secured and labeled not for sale or use
- Contact your supplier for instruction on what to do with the product
If you have any questions regarding this notice or need assistance contact