- 12 12-inch skewers
- 3/4 lb. beef sirloin, fat removed, 1-inch sliced pieces
- 5 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar (divided, 2 and 3 Tbsp.)
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt (divided, 2 1/4 tsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. pepper (divided, 2 1/4 tsp.)
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1 pint (2 cups) grape tomatoes
- 1 10-ounce container white mushrooms, whole, trimmed and halved
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into 1-inch rounds
Trim and discard fat from sirloin, then cut into 1-inch pieces. Add lean sirloin to a large Ziploc bag, along with 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, rosemary, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Marinate for 30 minutes while preparing remaining ingredients.
Prepare vinaigrette in the bowl of a food processor. Add remaining balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, basil, oil, water and mustard. Process until smooth (30 seconds to 1 minute). Transfer to a small bowl and reserve. Chop vegetables according to ingredients. Thread vegetables dividing ingredients evenly between 8 skewers. Thread steak pieces onto remaining 4 skewers, dividing evenly.
To cook, prepare the grill to medium-high heat. Coat the grates with nonstick cooking spray. Add all the skewers to the grill. Cook, turning occasionally, until meat is desired temperature and vegetables are softened, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a platter, cover with foil and reserve. Drizzle the vinaigrette over vegetable skewers before serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 381 calories. Fat: 15.5 grams. Sodium: 449 milligrams. Fiber: 7.5 grams. Saturated Fat: 2.4 grams. Total Carbohydrates: 37.8 grams. Sugar: 13.9 grams. Protein: 25.8 grams.
Note: Balsamic vinegars come in a variety of flavors, such as peach or cherry. Choose your favorite and drizzle over vegetables and salads, or use as the base of a marinade like in this recipe.
Recipe adapted from recipes.heart.org. Image courtesy of Pixabay.