Prescribers can be a part of the solution to the opioid epidemic. To help, you can
- First of all, do no harm.
- Adopt the CDC’s opioid prescribing guidelines in your practice.
- In general, do not prescribe opioids as the first-line treatment for chronic pain. If opioids are indicated, start low and go slow.
- Register and use the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program.
- Avoid concurrent prescribing of opioids and benzodiazepines.
- Talk with your patients about a treatment plan, risk factors, medication storage and disposal. View Did You Know…? Flier.
- Offer or refer patients to treatment for their substance use disorder at 410-222-0117. More resources for patients and their families are available at www.DENIALisDEADLY.org.