Birth and Death Certificates
- Last Updated: 9.11.15
The Anne Arundel County Department of Health provides certified copies of birth certificates. Death certificates are provided for funeral directors only.
Birth certificates for individuals born in Maryland after 1942 may be obtained for a $30 fee at the Health Services Building, 3 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Annapolis, Monday - Friday. Hours are 8:00 a.m. - noon and 12:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. except holidays and State service reduction days.
To obtain a Maryland birth certificate:
- Apply in person
- Present a valid government ID with photo. The ID must have the date issued as well as an expiration date.
- Copies of birth certificates can only be given to the individual whose name is listed on the birth certificate, the mother or father listed on the birth certificate, or an individual with papers showing custody of the person whose name is listed on the birth certificate.
- Pay $30 fee with cash; Discover, Mastercard or Visa credit* and debit cards; or check made payable to Controller, Anne Arundel County. *There is a 2.2% fee for use of credit cards.
- Anne Arundel County Department of Health's Application for a Copy or Abstract of Birth Certificate - Must Apply in Person.
Another option to receive a copy or abstract of a birth certificate:
- State of Maryland, Division of Vital Records, Baltimore, Maryland - Application for a Copy or Abstract of Birth Certificate
Death certificates may be obtained by funeral directors only at the Health Services Building, 3 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Annapolis, Monday - Friday. Hours are 8:00 a.m. - noon and 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. except holidays and State service reduction days. Certified death certificates are $32 for the first certificate and $20 for each additional certificate. There is a 2.2% fee for the use of credit cards. Also, see Death and Fetal Death Certificates-Maryland Vital Statistics.