Medical Assistance for Families/Maryland Children's Health Program (MCHP)
What is Medical Assistance for Families/MCHP?
Medical Assistance For Families/MCHP is a health insurance program for Maryland residents that offers full medical benefits to:
- Parents or other family members caring for children
- Children up to age 21
- Pregnant women of any age
To be eligible, you must:
- have low to average family income,
- provide proof of citizenship and identity or provide proof of Legal Permanent Residency.
What is MCHP Premium?
MCHP Premium is a health insurance program for Maryland residents whose family income is higher than the family income limit of Medical Assistance for Families/MCHP. MCHP Premium offers full medical benefits to children up to age 19. MCHP Premium applicants fill out the same application form as MCHP applicants.
To be eligible you must:
- Provide proof of citizenship and identity.
- Pay a monthly premium (one premium per family).
Annual Income Eligibility Chart (Approximate)
|Number of People In the Family||Families||Children (MCHP)||Children MCHP (Premium*)||Pregnant Woman|
|Each person add||$4,593||$7,920||$9,900||$11,880||$9,900|
Effective March 1, 2012
*Premium cost is per family/household each month.
What medical services are provided?
- Hospital care
- Prenatal doctor's visits and hospital delivery
- Prescription medicine
- Lab work and tests
- Doctor's visits and checkups
- Dental and vision care
- Mental health, drug and alcohol abuse services
- Home health
- Medical Assistance Transportation
Are proof of United States citizenship and proof of identity required for Medical Assistance for Families?
Yes, you will need to provide proof of United States citizenship or Legal Permanent Residency and provide proof of identity. Click here (PDF) for a list of types of items you can show to prove your citizenship and identity. You can bring the documents to the Department of Health or you can mail in photocopies of the documents. At some time, you may be required to show the actual document to your Department of Health caseworker for verification.
How do you get an application?
- It's easy! See Facts About Applying (PDF). To get an application, see Medical Assistance Application (PDF), Medical Assistance/MCHP Application - Español, OR
- Call 410-222-4792 to have an application mailed to you, OR
- Visit one of the Department of Health's community health centers listed below.
Call the center nearest you to confirm service hours.
- Annapolis Health Center, 3 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Annapolis 410-222-7381
- Brooklyn Park Health Center, 300 Hammonds Lane, Brooklyn Park 410-222-6620
- Glen Burnie Health Center, 416 A Street S.W., Glen Burnie 410-222-6633
- Magothy Health Center, 2501 Mountain Road, Pasadena 410-222-6640
- Parole Health Center, 1950 Drew Street, Annapolis 410-222-7247
- Applications are also available at
- Anne Arundel County Public Libraries,
- Anne Arundel County Department of Social Services, and
- some local doctors' offices.
Completed applications may be mailed to:
Eligibility and Enrollment
Anne Arundel County Department of Health
1 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Suite 200
Annapolis, MD 21401
Completed applications can also be taken to one of the health centers.
For more information about the eligibility requirements, call the Medical Assistance for Families/MCHP Hotline at 1-800-456-8900 (1-800-735-2258 TDD) or the Maryland Children's Health Program Division at 1-410-767-6898 or 1-410-767-6890.
Please see attached Supplemental Application (PDF), which must be completed if you submit MCHP application forms that were printed before July 1, 2008.
For more Web information about the Maryland Medical Assistance for Families Program, visit Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
For Health Resources for Mothers and Their Babies: Healthy Moms and Babies
For information about the Maryland Primary Adult Care (PAC) Program, click here.
For information about the Maryland Insurance Administration, which regulates Maryland's insurance industry, and helps ensure consumer protection, see MIA Highlights.