Medical Assistance for Families/Maryland Children's Health Program (MCHP)
- Last Updated: 2.4.16
What is Medical Assistance for Families/MCHP?
Medical Assistance For Families/MCHP is a health insurance program for Maryland residents that offers full medical benefits to:
- Parents or other family members caring for children
- Children up to age 21
- Pregnant women of any age
What is MCHP Premium?
MCHP Premium is a health insurance program for Maryland residents whose family income is higher than the family income limit of Medical Assistance for Families/MCHP. MCHP Premium applicants fill out the same application as MCHP applicants, and MCHP Premium offers full medical benefits to:
- Children up to age 19.
What is Medical Assistance for Single Adults?
Medicaid has been expanded to offer medical benefits to:
- Single childless adults up to age 65
To be eligible for Medical Assistance for Families/MCHP and Medical Assistance for Single Adults you must:
- Provide proof of citizenship and identity and/or proof of Legal Permanent Residency.
- Pay a monthly premium (MCHP Premium only).
Are proof of United States citizenship and proof of identity required for Medical Assistance for Families/MCHP and Medical Assistance for Single Adults?
Yes, you will need to provide proof of United States citizenship or Legal Permanent Residency and provide proof of identity. Click here (PDF) for a list of types of items you can show to prove your citizenship and identity. You can bring the documents to the Department of Health or you can mail in photocopies of the documents. At some time, you may be required to show the actual document to your Department of Health caseworker for verification.
How do you apply?
- By mail: Call 1-855-642-8572 to have an application mailed to you.
- Online: www.marylandhealthconnection.gov
- By Phone: Maryland Health Connection Consumer Support Center 1-855-642-8572, TTY 1-855-642-8573
- In Person: Annapolis Health Center, 3 Harry S. Truman Parkway, Annapolis, MD, 21401, Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. You can call 410-222-7381 to schedule an appointment for assistance with the application process.
How do you submit outstanding verifications?
- Online: Maryland Health Connection. Upload documents through your account in the Consumer Portal.
- In Person: Visit a local health department, the Department of Social Services or Connector Entity.
- By Mail: Send photocopies of documents to Maryland Health Connection, P.O. Box 2160, Manchester, CT 06045
- For Web information about the Maryland Medical Assistance for Families Program, visit Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
- For Health Resources for Mothers and Their Babies: Healthy Moms and Babies
- For information about the Maryland Insurance Administration, which regulates Maryland's insurance industry and helps ensure consumer protection, see MIA Highlights.