Parent's Guide to School Health
This guide is for parents with school-age children. Many common questions are answered below. For immunization requirements, see Immunizations and Medications below. For birth certificate information, click here.
- School Health Services
- Immunizations and Medications
- Illnesses and Diseases
- Healthy Behavior
- Healthy Eating
- More Health and Safety Tips
- What are School Health Services?
- How do I contact my child's School Nurse?
- Calendar of In-School Vision and Hearing Screenings
- The Health Profile of School-Aged Children in Anne Arundel County, August 2006 (PDF) presents indicators of the well-being of children in Anne Arundel County. This profile is intended as a broad summary to provide information helpful in improving the health of our children.
- Free FluMist Vaccination Program for Public Elementary School Students
- What are Maryland's vaccine requirements for schoolchildren?
- What immunizations are required for middle school and high school students?
- My child needs to take medication at school. What procedures do I need to follow?
- My child has diabetes and needs medication at school. What procedures do I need to follow?
- How do I know when to keep my child home from school because of an illness?
- Help Stop the Flu and other Common Illnesses (PDF)
- Why Flu Vaccination Matters: Personal Stories from Families Affected by the Flu - Video
- The Flu and Your School (PDF)
- Cover That Cough: A game to teach kids about preventing germs
- Conjunctivitis (Pink Eye) (PDF)
- Head Lice
- Mycoplasma Infection
- Pneumonia (PDF)
- Staph Infections, MRSA - Prevention Tips For School and Recreation Staff and Volunteers
- Help Your Child Cope with Crises and Violence
- Talking to Kids About Suicide (PDF)
- Adolescent Suicide Report, September 2010 (PDF)
- Grief Support Groups
- Free Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services for Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan and Their Families (PDF)
- Tips for Parents on Talking to Your Teens About Sex
- Tanning and Skin Cancer
- Tattoos, Body Piercing and Health Risks
- What Parents Can Do to Help Keep Kids Tobacco-Free
- Resources for Help (PDF)
- Back to School Preparation (PDF)
- School Meals Information (AACPS Video)
- Busy Families Can Be Healthy Families - Lunch and Snack Ideas (PDF)
- Cafeteria Connection: An Inside Look at School Lunches (PDF)
- Food Safety and Packing School Lunches
- Alternatives to Food as Reward (PDF)
- Healthy Celebrations (PDF)
- Healthy Fluids and Snacks for Active Kids (PDF)
- Healthy Fundraising (PDF)
- Tasting Event Guide (PDF)
- Animal Exhibits and Illness Prevention
- Safe Backpacking
- Coach's Clipboard (PDF), a newsletter for coaches. Promotes keeping the team healthy, being prepared for health emergencies and tips for preventing injuries.
- Healthy Schools, Healthy Youth (CDC)
For more information on School Health Services, call 410-222-6838.
Here is more information on Raising Healthy Kids.