Vision, Mission and Core Values
- Last Updated: 11.21.13
A vibrant Anne Arundel County with healthy people in healthy communities
The Department of Health’s mission is to preserve, promote and protect the public health* of all people who live, work and play in Anne Arundel County.
Critical to achieving our vision and mission are strong, sustainable partnerships with individual residents, public sector agencies, community-based organizations, health care providers and insurers, academic institutions, businesses and other private sector agencies.
*What is public health? A definition.
Core values reflect principles that our Department, comprised of diverse public health professionals, exhibits as we interact with co-workers, agency partners, the community, businesses and the public. Our core values are Integrity, Excellence, Collaboration, Innovation and Respect.
Ten Essential Public Health Functions and Services
- Assessing community needs in partnership with the public and private sector
- Investigating public health problems and hazards in an era of globalization
- Maximizing the role of media in public health information dissemination
- Building viable and sustainable coalitions and partnerships
- Developing local policies and plans in the context of federal and state policies and plans to transform health
- Enforcing laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety
- Ensuring access to clinical services in our local jurisdiction
- Building a robust public health workforce of the future
- Evaluating service delivery in a local jurisdiction
- Conducting research at a local health department
Public Health Functions and Services